Thursday, July 29, 2010

Ceviche on the Fourth of July


This was my first experience making ceviche. I have always loved the flavors of Mexican cuisine as does the entire family. Mix that with seafood and I have very happy campers. This recipe was partly inspired by my favorite Mexican Chef, Rick Bayless as I loved watching him tour and cook regional Mexican dishes.

For the ceviche:

I jumbo bag of shrimp (40 or so, defrosted...tails on or off, you decide)
Roma tomatoes
1-2 fresh jalapanos seeded and diced very small
1/2 a large white onion
1 bunch of cilantro minced
1/2 of an English cucumber, seeded
4-6 limes, juiced
2 avocados (sliced, add a little lime to prevent browning and a sprinke of salt)
Bottle of your favorite Mexican hot sauce such as Tapatio or Cholula

Dice all fresh ingredients small so they are about 1/4 inch and set aside in a bowl
Juice limes and pour over bag of shrimp to marinade for 20-30 minutes.
Mix all ingredients together, serve with sliced avocado and eat with chips or on a tostada shell.

Maravilloso!

No comments:

Post a Comment