Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Lamb Patties, Roasted Potatoes and Greek Salad


OK, if you detest lamb, go to another post as I don't think this will work with beef or turkey.  This is a version of lamb patties my mom learned how to make from the mother of an Indian classmate I had in elementary school.  Although they were East Indian, this could be considered Greek or Middle Eastern as the spice blend has the same spices used in those regions: cumin, cinnamon, black pepper, etc.  They were awesome cooked on the grill, with some cubed yellow potatoes that roasted in the oven...add a Greek Salad and you're set...unless you need a glass of red wine to go with it.

Grilled Lamb Patties

2 lbs. of ground lamb
2 crushed garlic cloves
1/2 grated white onion
salt to taste
1-1 1/2 t. of Garam Masala (I use the Mc Cormick brand)
1/2 c. finely chopped cilantro
1 finely minced jalapano (seeded)

Mix, mix and grill.  I made about 10 patties from this batch and tossed them on the grill

Grilled Potatoes

1 small bag of Yukon Gold Potatos, quartered
salt
1/4 c. olive oil

Toss with oil and bake in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes.  Spinkle with salt afterwards.  I love, love using the cast iron pan in the oven.

Greek Salad

One head of Green Leaf Lettuce
Your favorite tomatoes...from your garden
about half a red onion
Kalamata Olives (I prefer ones in oil, not vinegar)
Feta Cheese (I love the sheep's mik version at Trader Joes).
Half of a sliced English Cucumber
about 1 cup of previously cooked lentils (I just made some in salted water til they are just past al dente)
Vinegrette (1 part olive oil to 1 part red or white wine vinegar, add a little dried oregano)

No comments:

Post a Comment