Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Seasonal Watercolors

This year we have been focusing on using watercolors for our main art medium.  They are inexpensive and in my opinion produce a better product that tempera.  The kids have enjoyed using the watercolors and brushes to create different lines and hues.  Since the fall, the kids began hounding me that we needed to create "Winter Watercolor Art" in addition to our regular Christmas Decorations.  So over break (a little later than planned), we took down our fall watercolors paintings and replaced them with the winter ones...Notice that the kids are focusing on creating a horizon line and are quite proud of how their pieces turn out.  Next season...blossoms.

Note:  We used Prang Watercolors which come in palates in many shades: primary, earthy, metalic and glitter.  Also used was Strathmore Watercolor Paper to prevent buckling when the paint dried.

Here are their fall paintings: http://ahandfuloffun.blogspot.com/2010/10/fall-has-arrived.html






Yes the baby girl HAD to paint too.  In the big chair, with paper and real paint.



The snow is a little difficult to see but the kids added that element to their paintings for the winter effect.

Now for the "Winter Watercolor Art."

5 comments:

  1. Fabulous art work! I popped over from the Homeschool Hop and I'm so glad I did. I have been terrified of starting any art curriculum or lessons with my little ones because I have no artistic talent at all. But those proud smiles and lovely pictures just might inspire me. Thanks for the recommendation on the watercolor brand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I too am not very artistic...my watercolor is not featured in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these pictures. What a beautiful family you have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They did an awesome job!!!
    Thanks for joining in the Hip Homeschool Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK had to come check it out....ooooh that baby girl. You have some talent in your home!

    ReplyDelete